The Medi-Cal (i.e., Medicaid for California) laws are about to change, so you’ll need to find an elder law attorney who is up-to-date on all the current and new rules about to be implemented.

As for how to transfer the interest in the house, there are a number of options that depend on their circumstances (family, health, other assets and income). Because of all these moving parts, unfortunately I cannot give you a clear answer or advice. Again, this is where a good elder law attorney can assist. Best of luck!